Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Catering Santee suggested to you now that the winter coats have come out of hibernation (and we’re going into it), easy comfort meals are on our minds. We’re talking tasty one-pot dishes, soup, and porridge and gourmet hash browns.
It’s also the time where Darya Grill Restaurant can dust off our slow cookers, throw in a bunch of satisfying ingredients and slow cook to our heart’s content.
This slow cooker chicken tortilla soup is perfect for when you want a warming, hearty meal that’s packed with flavor. Using chicken, black beans, veggies, Mexican spices and cheese as the base, the stew is then topped with crispy tortilla chips, sour cream, avocado and fresh herbs.
To bulk out this meal even more (making it perfect for leftovers), serve with brown rice.
Boneless skinless chicken breasts
15-oz. can Black Beans, rinsed
Bell peppers, chopped
White onion, chopped
15-oz. can fire-roasted tomatoes
Freshly chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
Cloves garlic, minced
Low-sodium chicken broth
Shredded Monterey Jack
Extra-virgin olive oil
Small corn tortillas, cut into strips
Sliced avocado, for serving
Sour cream, for serving
Lime wedges, for serving
- In a large slow cooker, combine chicken, black beans, corn, peppers, onion, fire-roasted tomatoes, cilantro, garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt, and chicken broth.
- Cover and cook on low until chicken is cooked and falling apart, 5 to 6 hours.
- Shred chicken with a fork, then top soup with Monterey Jack and cover to let melt, 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, make tortilla crisps: In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add tortilla strips and cook until crispy and golden, 3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and season with salt.
- Serve soup topped with tortilla crisps, avocado, sour cream, cilantro, and lime.